Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Race is On...

Today was a fantastic day. Minus the banana peel and the wooden train track that Maynard flushed down the toilet.

I got to put the kids down for a nap while cleaning the house (new construction one) and thankfully, my dear husband bought me an mp3 player for Christmas (well, actually called him and asked if he would buy it for me, and I picked it out and bought it, but I say it is from him!). I have been listening to Bible studies while cleaning. It doesn't even feel like I am "working" since I am able to catch up on studies that I have missed or wanted to hear.

I am about finished with the house. I have a few more hours tomorrow that I get to do but it will be easy work...shining mirrors and windows, sweeping and mopping. They boys were having so much fun on the way home, it was quite comical. It is amazing how much happiness they bring to my life. I am so thankful to God for them.

Willard was so funny tonight. Usually, there is a battle for me to get him into his pajamas, but I started a little competition a few weeks ago between Willard and Maynard that involved racing to get their pajamas on. The winner gets to brush their teeth first. I help Maynard get his jammies on (and keep things fair and down to the wire!), and Willard gets to do it all by himself (including changing skivvies and socks, and putting the day's clothes in their basket).

Willard is such a sore loser though. A couple nights ago, Willard won and Maynard was clapping and yelling for him. I mentioned to Maynard that it was nice for him to be happy for Willard that he won. I also asked Willard if it is nice for brother to be happy for him, and he said yes.

So, last night, Maynard won, and Willard had a meltdown. He flopped on the bed, crying. I let him throw his fit, then I reminded him of how good it felt when Maynard was clapping for him. He still was upset. He kept saying how sad he was. I was still showing Maynard that I was proud because he let me dress him (he is a runner), and that he gets to brush his teeth first. Willard reluctantly followed us into the bathroom, and filled Maynard's glass (this is what they each do for each other anyway) so he could rinse and "bit" (as Maynard would say spit). Then it was Willard's turn, and Maynard got to fill the glass for brother. I again reminded Willard that it would be nice if he congratulated Maynard for winning...nope.

Tonight, before we started the big race, I asked Willard if he won, would Maynard be happy for him or sad. Willard agreed that Maynard would be happy for him. I then asked Willard if Maynard won, would he be happy for him or sad because he didn't win. Willard said he would be sad. So I told him that we wouldn't have the race then. He was bummed, so I let him know that he needed to change his attitude, and he said he would and the race started.

Maynard didn't want to lay down for his diaper change, and Willard didn't want to change his nascar (though he has never watched nascar...he just likes the cars on them) skivvies. I reminded him that he needed to and he started taking them off. I finally got a diaper rounded up for Maynard and Willard was putting on undies. Then he started with his jammy bottoms, but his undies were on inside out. I let him know that they needed to be right side out, so I helped him turn them the right way, and he put them on again. We were giggling about it.

Maynard was almost dressed, just needed the pants, and I realize that Willard's clean undies were on the floor, and he put on the ones he just took off. I wasn't paying attention until I noticed the clean ones on the floor. Willard and I giggled about how silly he was about not putting the clean skivvies on and we giggled some more while he was trying to take them off really fast.

Willard noticed that Maynard was just about dressed and I reminded him again of how he needed to be excited for brother, and with that, I finished getting Maynard dressed. I started clapping for Maynard and I could tell that Willard wanted to throw a fit, but he actually started clapping and laughing along. He did want to go into full meltdown mode, but he could see how Maynard was happy because Willard was happy for him so he held off.

I just love it when they encourage each other. It reminds me that that just like I need to teach my children how to edify each other, I also need to be edifying others, so that I can be an example for others.

I better head off to bed. I get to go to church in the morning, and then off to clean some more!

No comments: