Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ok Bye

*First of all, any immigrant who comes to the US, should be required to learn English. *Second, when in line at the grocery store, get off the phone!

I was at work the other night and this sweet little lady comes through the line, talking up a storm in her native language. It was probably Chinese. She has been in the store before, so I just starting scanning her order. She does speak good English too, by the way.

I am ringing up her order, and she is chatting away very quickly in Chinese, then she says Ok, Bye, then she starts another conversation, either another call, or someone else got on the phone on the other end. I wasn't quite sure I heard her right.

I hear (please excuse me for my bad Chinese.) dong shi so ti do ma tah jah mo... Ok, Bye.

I almost cracked up laughing right there! I just couldn't believe she would have an entire conversation in one language and then end it like that.

Anyhow, I was amused. From now on, when I hang up the phone I am going to say Näkemiin. Or, maybe not...

No comments: